Monday, September 21, 2009

Things You Learn on the Throne

It's funny what you discover when you're taking the pee test in the bathroom at the doctor's office. For those of you who don't know, mommies-to-be have to take a urine test every time they go to the OBGYN for a check up.

Today, I had two realizations while sitting on the throne. First, my underwear was inside out. That's what happens when you can no longer see your feet and try to get dressed inside a dark closet. Second, I couldn't see the cup, either. Hitting the sterile container was a new physical challenge that somehow I seemed to master. If only my aim were that good on the golf course.

Once I exited the throne room with newly reversed underwear, Geof and I went into a room where the nurse listened to the babies' heart beats. I love the "wah, wah, wah" sound! Twin A measured about 145 beats per minute. Her sister's rate was slightly higher at 147 bpm. Both are considered very strong and healthy.

Next, Dr. Tosky came in to talk to us about the babies' progress. He was the only obstetrition in the practice that we had not yet met, so we were excited to make his acquaintance and pick his brain about some labor-related questions we had.

He had white hair and a funny New York-ish accent, which was emphasized by his kind, yet straight-to-the-point approach. We immediately liked him. Very "Sopranos."

He said it would be possible for us to have a natural delivery, if the twins are both facing head down. At our last ultrasound, one was still breech. Turn, Twin B, turn!

We think she may be trying. A true womb hog, she often pushes hard against the right and center of my tummy, leaving a large, loaf of bread-like lump at my belly button. This acrobatic manuver forces Twin A to my far right side in a similar-shaped bump.

Yes, it is as weird looking as it sounds. :) Even after stuffing myself at Thanksgiving, my belly has never contorted in such positions.

Dr. Tosky said if Twin B doesn't flip over and face head down, it would not be a good idea to try to have Twin A naturally and her sister by C-section. Too much stress on me.

However, he did say that if a C-section is the route we must go, we don't have to schedule it. We can let my body just start contractions on its own timetable. As odd as it may sound, I really want to do that. I don't want to miss out on this phase of the pregnancy if I don't have to.

The other thing we learned from Dr. Tosky was that most twins come into the world at about 35 weeks. That's three weeks from now!!

Breathing. Very. Fast.

No time for right siding underwear. Nesting time is here!

No comments:

Post a Comment