Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Milkshakes, C-sections and Casserole Delivered

I haven't really had many serious cravings throughout my pregnancy.

I've heard stories of mommies-to-be sending their husbands out at 2 a.m. for something weird like purple gum balls. Thankfully, for Geof's sleep cycle, I am not one of those people.

Don't get me wrong. I can always eat some ice cream. In fact, I'm pretty sure I ate about a third of a container of chocolate chip cookie dough one night while watching HGTV. But, there hasn't been one major food item that I've just HAD to have during the past 28 weeks.

Tuesday, that changed. I had a serious craving for a Reese's peanut butter cup milkshake from Cook Out. I knew it wasn't exactly calorically or nutritionally friendly, but I really didn't care. I just wanted to slurp up the sweet taste of chocolate, ice cream and peanut butter. Now.

The problem was Geof and I were supposed to be at childbirth class #4 at 7 p.m. It was 6:50 p.m. when we pulled into the Cook Out drive thru.

I knew we were going to be late. But not that late.

With shakes in hand, Geof sped (responsibly) to Rex Hospital, parked and dashed with our pillow and yoga mat to the classroom. I waddled as hurridly as possible behind him.

We rolled in at 7:06 p.m. And, we weren't the last ones there. Sweet! So, by the way, was my milkshake. :)

I happily sucked away on the blissful sugary dessert as I listened to our instructor, Caro, talk about C-sections.

On a side note, there is a real chance I will need to have this surgical procedure. You see, one of the girls is head down, but the other is still head up. If she doesn't take a nose dive soon, surgery will likely be our option.

I had already heard most of the information about C-sections before, but what I didn't know was that I wouldn't be able to hold the twins immediately after they're born. I'd have to wait. I found that thought crushing.

So, during one of our breaks, I asked Caro what my alternatives might be. She said if Twin B doesn't turn, I might be able to have Twin A naturally and then deliver Twin B by C-section. Or, she said I could ask my doctor if she'd deliver the baby breech. I definitely plan to discuss all this at my next appointment with her on Sept. 8.

I guess I'm a little weird, but I really want to know what real labor is like. I'm not afraid of the pain. I'm more afraid of missing out on the whole natural experience. I don't want to show up for a scheduled surgery. I want to have my water break while I'm in line at Cook Out. Okay, maybe not at Cook Out, but you see what I mean, right?

Back to class.

After talk of surgery ceased, Caro passed around a Harrod's shopping bag full of various items. Each future mom took one, and we went around the room explaining what we thought the item was for or represented.

I got a wooden spoon, and of course, Geof and I couldn't help but break into our imitations of the Swedish Chef from "The Muppets."

At first, I jokingly said the spoon was for punishment when chores went undone. But, then, I gave a more serious answer: "It's a reminder to let people cook for you, if they offer."

Eureka! I was right.

I learned I'm also supposed to let friends and family who offer to clean do it.

Hey, if you want to clean my toilet or Stella's litter box, go right ahead! I will not stop you, and neither will the twins.

So, if you feel like you need a little practice cookin' up a casserole for us in the future, feel free to start practicing now. We gladly accept anything edible and not made of Spam.

Milkshakes are also welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment