Thursday, May 28, 2009

Doctor, Doctor! Give Me the News!

Geof and I went to the OBGYN office this afternoon, so the Wonder Twins could get their "We're done with the first trimester! Yay!" check up. It went very well.

The practice has a policy, which requires moms-to-be to meet each doctor on staff just in case their doc is not available when the babies decide to make their grand entrances. Today, we met with Dr. Buckley, and he was great! Super personality and very ready to answer my barrage of baby questions.

Before he headed into "answer mode" for me, he measured the diameter of my bump and then let us listen to the babies' heart beats! It wasn't a "lub dub" kind of sound. It was more like "wah, wah, wah, wah" in rapid succession. Think "wah wah" pedal for guitar.

The twin on my left's heart was beating at 150 beats per minute.

The twin on my right's heart was going just 10 beats slower.

Dr. Buckley says those are great ranges, and the kiddos are doing very well! We are so proud of them!

The doc also told us that we won't know if the twins are fraternal or identical until after they are born. Apparently, there is no screening test for types of twins. You just look at them and tell after they are delivered. I'm going to leave that task to someone in the hospital with a medical degree who has not just given birth to two little people. :)

BTW, I now weigh 147.2 pounds. That's the most I've ever weighed in my life. Dr. Buckley said that was appropriate, and I can expect to gain a total of 40 pounds before the babies come. Wow! I am definitely going to be sporting the winter version of a muumuu when the third trimester comes around!

Our other exciting news is we now know when we'll learn the sexes of the Wonder Twins! June 18! Look for a post here that afternoon for the breaking news alert!

No comments:

Post a Comment