Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wonder twin power, activate!

Welcome to our blog! Geof and I are so excited that you are joining us on our journey into parenthood!

Before we bring you up to speed on the latest baby news, we thought it would be helpful to provide a little history of our pregnancy. Although we do not have Irish roots, luck was with us on March 17. Yes, we first learned we were expecting on St. Patrick's Day! However, it was not until a few weeks later that we find out the "bun in the oven" was actually TWO! Allow me to reinact the scene during the ultrasound:

Doctor: "Here is Baby #1." (pause) "Here is Baby #2."
Geof: "What?!" and nearly falls off the chair
Dara to nervous-looking doctor: "He's just in shock. Give him a minute. He really is excited."

You can see why the nickname "Wonder Twins" stuck! We were awestruck that we were blessed with two incredible babies. Geof and I had always dreamed of having two kids, mainly because he's a second-generation only child and I'm a third-generation only child, and we wanted to break the cycle. Boy, will we ever!

Speaking of gender, we do not yet know if the twins are boys, girls or one of each. We will learn that big news in another four to six weeks. We also do not know if the Wonder Twins are identical or fraternal. We should find that out in the near future, as well.

People always ask if we have a preference for the sexes. Nope. We just want happy and healthy babies. However, I do have a feeling they won't both be girls. If they are, Geof is threatening to lock them in their rooms until they're 21.

Another question I often get asked is how I'm feeling. So far, so good! I am now out of the first trimester and luckily have not once gotten sick! I did have some days early on when my tummy would get a little upset, but eating (weird, I know) always made me feel a lot better. I don't really crave anything unusual. (BTW, I hate pickles.) I do drink a TON of skim milk, though, which the babies seem to love! This morning, I got a cramp-like feeling that lasted until they got their glass full. I now buy almost two gallons a week to fulfill their calling for calcium. Moooo!

We are pleased to announce the twins will be 14 weeks old tomorrow. According to "Your Pregnancy: Week by Week," they should each measure about four inches long and be roughly the size of a fist. Their ears and eyes should be shifting into the correct places, and they are activately "flexing" their newly forming muscles. Geof likes to imitate what we imagine this looks like in the womb by posing like a body builder in positions that show off his bulging biceps. :)

We also think twins spend a lot of their time in utero playing patty cake and dancing (It's true! I've seen it on the ultrasound!). We're looking forward to the day when we can plug the iPod into the surround sound speakers, strap each one of the Wonder Twins into a baby Bjorn and dance around the den together. In case you didn't know, Geof took ballroom dancing lessons in college, so hopefully, the babies will inherit his twinkle toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment