Sunday, May 31, 2009

Don't Call Me Gumby

The Wonder Twins will officially be 15 weeks old tomorrow. Yay! Being that they're almost four months along, you'd assume that my baby bump would be bumpin', so to speak. It is, and it's awesome. However, what I did not anticipate was the immediate lack of mobility that comes with it. I think my range of motion is getting shorter by the hour.

For example, I gave myself a desperately needed pedicure tonight in order to make sure my toes were sandal-worthy for the start of the new work week. (They are, BTW. Shade? Ruby red!) But, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to be able to continue pampering my peds. In order to steadily paint each nail, I have to lean over, hold my breath and move the brush as fast as possible.

It's not like my belly is a fat roll that can just morph into flexible little hills upon bending. Oh no. It's like putting a beach ball between me and the object I'm trying to reach. Ugh.

In my head, I imagine the twins saying, "Get up! Get up! You're squishing us!" Sometimes, after leaning over for more than a few seconds, I get a yucky feeling in my tummy. I think that's the babies getting back at me for my unfavorable movements. :)

Speaking of motion, I might as well be moving in slow motion, if I bend down to pick something up. It definitely takes more effort than it used to. Sometimes, I am forced to add a small grunt to help me rise back up again. Does that mean I can qualify temporarily for AARP? Or, at the very least the senior citizens' discount at McDonalds?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I love the roundness of my stomach and adore knowing the twins are safe inside. I just figured my lack of Gumby skills would come in the final weeks of the pregnancy, not the first weeks of the second trimester. I guess that means I should continue to anticipate surprises from the biggest surprises of all - the Wonder Twins!

No comments:

Post a Comment