Thursday, June 11, 2009

Quad Screen Success

I usually try to sprinkle my posts with humor, but for this post, I'll treat a serious matter with a serious tone.

I went to the OBGYN's office last week to have a very important blood test done. It's called a quad screen, and it looked for signs that the Wonder Twins could have chromosomal defects. These include Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18, life-altering conditions that are not necessarily genetic.

The test was voluntary. We didn't have to do it, and to be honest, I didn't really want to. I explained to my doctor that I would love the babies regardless of any biological challenges they might face in life and just wanted to enjoy the beauty of holding the twins in my tummy. She told me the majority of parents find the test results relieving and encouraged me to discuss it with Geof.

I did. He felt strongly that I should have the test done, so if there were problems, we could start planning ahead on how to deal with them. His logic made sense, but it didn't make me any less scared.

I had a single vial of blood drawn last Thursday. I was told the results would not come in for about a week. That meant waiting. For a whole week. I hate waiting.

Luckily, the news came much sooner. On Tuesday, we got word the test results were "negative." I immediately asked what that meant. "It means everything is fine," said the woman from the doctor's office. "Across the board? For every test?" I said. "Yes," she confirmed. Elation! Relief!

I know there are other health hurdles the twins may face in the months ahead. I'm worried about those, too, and regularly pray for the babies' health and strength. But, at least for now, we know they are continuing to develop well, and we are incredibly thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment