Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday Sign Off

For those of you who don't know, I work in the Communications Office at the N.C. Department of Transportation during the week, but on the weekends, I head to job #2. I work as a sales associate at Raleigh Running Outfitters, a speciality running store owned, operated and "run" by runners. I help everyone from elite four-minute milers to "Couch to 5K" couples find the right shoes and apparel to meet their running needs.

(Check out http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/specials/komen_for_the_cure/video/5350338/ to see Geof and me sporting our RRO shirts at the Race for the Cure. We're about 25 seconds into the video.)

For more than a year, I've spent nearly every Saturday and Sunday at the store. With the Wonder Twins on the way, that's all changing. Today was my last Sunday at RRO. I will still continue to work on Saturdays, until I'm just too big to bend over and check to see if a customer has enough room in the toe box of his or her shoes.

I originally started working at the store for three key reasons. First, we were paying a mortgage on our house in Tucson (which we were anxiously trying to sell) and rent on our apartment in Raleigh (which we couldn't wait to ditch once we found a new house). No fun in a no-good economy. Second, I was new to town, and Geof worked weekends at WRAL. I needed a way to meet people. Nice people who shared my interests. Third, running gear can be expensive, and getting discounts is awesome!

What started out as a weekend job has turned into a fun way to spend time with friends, talk about running and help others make running their passion, as well. The gang at RRO has been incredibly supportive of me, Geof and the babies. We very much appreciate their flexibility and hilarious parental advice! We look forward to taking the twins to the store for their first pairs of trainers!

Now that I'll be free on Sundays, I plan to tackle all the projects that must get done around the house before the babies are born, because I know I won't come close to crossing them off my "To Do" list after Nov. 22! So, if you call on Sundays and I don't answer, just know I'm not dodging your call. I'm simply belly deep in a filing cabinet in the garage or hanging a long-awaited set of frames above the bed. I promise I'll call you back!

No comments:

Post a Comment